When it comes to choosing childcare there are lots of options to think about. If you would like to speak to somebody about your options or find out what's available in your area then please contact York Family Information Service on 01904 554444.

Search for Childcare

Childcare options

Good quality childcare and early education is not only good for children; it gives parents more freedom to work, study or train for a job too. But juggling work and bringing up children isn't easy. If you're struggling with this, you're not alone.

There are lots of different options to consider when choosing childcare. It's up to you as a mum, dad or carer to choose what you feel is right for your family and child. When choosing childcare, try and give yourself enough time to visit several possible options to get a good idea of what may suit your child. It can be a good idea to take your child with you to see how they interact with staff and their reactions to the setting. Try to go when children are there so you can see if they are settled, confident and involved in a variety of activities.

All childcare providers are registered with Ofsted (the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills) if they operate more than 2 hours per day. This means that they are inspected against a set of national standards. You can access a copy of a childcare providers latest report through the Ofsted website. You can also ask a provider if you want to see a copy of their latest inspection report.

To find out more about what is available, visit our Childcare Options page.

Finding Childcare in York

To find Ofsted registered childcare in York, you can use our Search Directory to search for childcare or you can get a personalised list from York Family Information Service by calling 01904 554444 or emailing

If you are looking for childcare outside of York you can use the Family and Childcare Trust Childcare Finder. This website links together all of the Family Information Services in England to make it quick and easy to find childcare wherever you live.

In light of the current situation regarding COVID 19, we have gathered information from providers about their availability of childcare places for key worker families. This list only shows the providers who are currently open. Not all providers may be able to accept new key worker family children however, where providers have notified us that they do have additional places available, this is indicated on the spreadsheet. Please also note that at the current time, this may not be a complete list of all providers who are open as we are still actively collecting this information from our early years providers and updating the information as quickly as possible and the information is changing on a daily basis so please bear with us. You can also filter the provision by ward so you can find provision in the area most suitable for you. We hope key worker families find this useful, however York Family Information Service are still available to contact at if you require further information. 



Financial Support for your Childcare Costs

Funded Childcare for Two Year Olds

  • For all families in Englandreceiving some forms of support
  • With 2-year-old children
  • 15 hours childcare or early education for 38 weeks
  • A total of 570 hours per year, that you can use flexibly with one or more childcare provider
  • Some providers will allow you  to ‘stretch’ the hours over 52 weeks, using fewer hours per week

Funded Childcare for Three and Four Year Olds

  • 15 hours childcare or early education for 38 weeks for all families in England
  • 30 hours childcare or early education for working families in England

Tax Free Childcare

  • For working families, including the self-employed, in the UK
  • With children under 12 (or under 17 if disabled)
  • For every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2, up to £2,000 per child per year - that's up to £500 every three months

Tax Credits for Childcare

  • For working families, in the UK
  • With children under 16 (or under 17 if disabled)
  • 70% of childcare costs, up to a cap

For further information about funded childcare places for 2, 3 and 4 year olds,, Tax Free Childcare, Tax Credits, Universal Credit for Childcare, Childcare Vouchers and Support while you study, go to: Child Care Choices Website

Flexible Working

Flexible working is a way of working that suits an employee’s needs, eg having flexible start and finish times, or working from home. All employees have the legal right to request flexible working - not just parents and carers. Employees must have worked for the same employer for at least 26 weeks to be eligible.

To find out about Flexible Working visit the website.

Shared Parental Leave

You and your partner may be able to get Shared Parental Leave (SPL) and Statutory Shared Parental Pay (ShPP) if you’re having a baby or adopting a child. You can share up to 50 weeks of leave and up to 37 weeks of pay between you. You need to share the pay and leave in the first year after your child is born or placed with your family. You can use SPL to take leave in blocks separated by periods of work, or take it all in one go. You can also choose to be off work together or to stagger the leave and pay.

To find out more about Shared Parental Leave visit the website.

Additional Funding

 Some 3 and 4 year olds may also be entitled to other benefits as follows:


 This is an additional sum of money paid to childcare providers for children of families in receipt of certain benefits including:

  • Income Support/income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance/income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Child is ‘looked after’ by a local authority in England or Wales, or
  • Child has left care in England or Wales through an adoption, a special guardianship order or a child arrangement order

 The funding will be used to enhance the quality of your child’s early years’ experience by improving the teaching and learning and facilities and resources, with the aim of impacting positively on your child’s progress and development. For more information, please speak to your childcare provider.

  • In order for us to check your eligibility for EYPP, the personal details of the main benefit holder need to be completed under the EYPP section of the Parent Declaration Form.

DAF is paid to the child’s early years setting as a fixed annual rate of £615 per eligible child. If your child attends more than one provider, you will need to nominate the main provider where the local authority should pay the DAF on the  DAF application form. Correct name?

  • 3 and 4 year old children who are in receipt of child Disability Living Allowance and are receiving Funded Entitlement are eligible for the Disability Access Fund .
  • You will be required to provide evidence that your child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance

Choosing Childcare for Children with SEN

When it comes to childcare for a disabled child, a lot of the considerations are the same as for any other child. However there are a few extra things to think about, such as training or a child's medical needs. This short guide will take you through all of the key things you need to know about arranging childcare for a disabled child.

If your child has special educational needs (SEN), speak to your provider who may be able to access some additional funding to support your child in their Early Years setting.

Related pages


York Family Information Service and Information Service for Young People

01904 554444 / 01904 555400

Search for Childcare and Services